Friday, January 10, 2014

Epilogue

I first wrote about my high school friend, Joel Morris, five and a half years ago in this post and again two years later here.  When he killed his father the following year, I wrote about it here.

The long saga came to an end in a courtroom today as he was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of his father, Bob Morris.

The result is not surprising.

I had been subpoenaed by his attorney to testify, but after talking to him, he decided that I probably wouldn't be helpful to Joel's case.  He was probably correct in making that decision.

I've thought a lot about Joel this week.  I was a sophomore in high school when I first met him.  We had our ups and downs over the years but he remained one of the most intensely loyal friends I've ever had.  If I had not watched him mentally deteriorate with my own eyes, it would be impossible to reconcile the Joel I knew with the person who murdered his father.

I loved him like a brother.

Since that fateful day in April of 2011, I've wondered what I would feel when a jury ultimately handed down a verdict on Joel.

I was surprised to find that the feeling was largely relief.

As much as I loved him, I was scared to death of the idea of ever seeing him out on the street again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question, it is off the subject but here goes.

I saw something on TV yesterday that just floored me.

I know there must be more to the story than meets the eye.
A man was sentenced to 180 jail time for paying too much child support and visiting his son too much. Judge Lisa Millard sentenced this man for contempt I think.

Does anyone know what in the world that is about? I find this peculiar to say the least.

Anonymous said...

It is tragic that this state (not that the rest of the country has a great solution for this problem) has no treatment option for this kind of mental health decline. The only option for long term care for a severely mentally ill person who becomes violent is prison after something horrible has happened. And there is no solution for the victim of the violence. Our non-violent severely mentally ill are living on the streets. That is not an adequate solution either. I don't have the answers, but it is heart breaking to watch such a decline knowing that the end will be terrible. Going back to the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest days is not acceptable; but, there has to be some placement for people suffering from chronic mental illness that does not respond to any intervention. Thank you for sharing the story of your friend.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...