Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dude, Where's My Polling Location

One of the more bitter memories I have from the day in 2008 when we all learned that Pat Lykos had won the Republican Nomination in the runoff for the District Attorney's race came from working a polling location for Kelly Siegler on election day. The reason that the memory there is bitter was that shortly after 5 p.m., the location became flooded with people wanting to vote who were arriving only to be turned away.

The reason they were being turned away was that the general public had not been adequately informed that NOT ALL POLLING LOCATIONS THAT ARE OPEN DURING THE REGULAR PRIMARY ELECTION DAY ARE OPEN ON THE RUN-OFF ELECTION DAY.

I can still remember the look on some of the wannabe voters' faces as they shrugged their shoulders and told me that they wanted to vote, but they had just learned that their polling location was on the opposite side of their precinct and there was no way to get there in time. Some were very apologetic about it.

I'm taking this painful trip down Memory Lane to stress to those of you who want to (make sure that you follow the advice of Johnny Holmes, Dan Patrick, Paul Bettencourt, and pretty much anyone who has ever set foot in the CJC and) vote for Marc Brown, that you do so early. Unless you have studied and confirmed that your regular election-day polling location is open, you can't be certain.

Alleviate the risk of not getting to vote, and go do it today or tomorrow. For those of you in and around the Administration Building Downtown, go do it at lunch today or tomorrow. It will take all of about 3 minutes out of your schedule.

I got Danny Dexter's campaign mail out in the mail yesterday, and I couldn't help but notice that he had a long list of supporters who had NEVER SET FOOT IN THE CJC listed as his endorsers. The ONLY person I saw on the list that practiced criminal law was Gary Polland, who Danny paid $5000.00 to get his endorsement. Every major endorsement Danny got, he paid cash money for.

We need to get out there and do everything we can to make sure that we have a quality judge rather than just a good return on Danny Dexter's investment.

This election is completely up-for-grabs.

Go vote for Marc Brown. You've only got two days left to early vote.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot off the presses: Everyone's favorite fiancé Don Hooper is working an early vote location for Dexter! Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

Anon11 Of course he supports Dextwerp.

Anonymous said...

I heard Don Hooper was working with Danny Dexter in Kingwood.

Everyone please get out and vote! Every vote counts!!! I would much rather the judge be able to do more than write a check, and so far, I haven't figured out what else Danny Dexter is good for. His supporters certainly haven't told us. Money talk and......

Vote for Marc Brown!

Anonymous said...

I believe that is excellent news for Marc!!!

Based on my experience as a co-pollworker in March, Don Hopper's conduct helped Don Smyth ten times more than it helped his fiancé . His valet / carhop "meet and greet" tactics as people exited their cars was offensive to the voters. We (fellow pollworkers) were equally insulted by his intimidating / bullying interaction with us. I assure you he lost more votes than he gained for Rachel that day in March.

Murray Newman said...

Seriously? Does he not have a job, or is he just a sponsor for Incompetents Anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Murray - that is an interesting concept …as heard at last night’s IA meeting…

Hi, I’m _______ and I’m incompetent. I am selfish and self-centered. I don’t have a job, but I look good and talk about myself ALL the time. I only associate with other high-status people that can legitimize my superiority. I want to be center stage. When I go to a wedding I want to be the Groom, when I go to a Funeral I want to be the Corpse, when I read “Life at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center”, I want to be Murray. Yes, I am incompetent, inept, and egotistical, but deep down I want to be competent, compassionate and empathetic

BLACK INK said...

Murray,
It looks like a Lykosesque runoff voter turnout once again...absentee ballots will most likely carry the day.

Anonymous said...

Black Ink, mail in votes will not carry the day if everyone gets their friends out to vote. I saw one candidate's supporter texting everyone of their friend to come for for the candidate. If Marc's supporters will do the same, Marc will carry the day. Now get out there and text your friends. More important make sure they vote.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...