Friday, January 15, 2010

A True Legend Retires

I somehow missed when this was happening, but a true legend of the Harris County D.A.'s Office apparently retired at the end of 2009.

For those of you at the Office, you know, that, of course, I speak of none other than the legendary, Barbara "Pajama Momma" Eaglin, who had worked as a secretary in the Misdemeanor Division since most of the attorneys now there were in diapers.

Barbara managed to work in the same position for decades with no fashion or hairstyle that she would not try, and with no thought that entered her mind that she didn't share with you -- loudly. She wasn't afraid to tell off defense attorneys, prosecutors, supervisors, investigators, police officers, or any other person who called into the Office.

She is without a doubt one of the funniest human beings I have ever met in my entire life.

My favorite story that I personally experienced with Barbara was when I was the Chief of Court Five. My godfather, Jim, called the Office looking for me one rainy Wednesday afternoon. The conversation went something like this:

JIM: Is Murray in?

BARBARA: Nah. He ain't here.

JIM: Oh, that's right. It's Wednesday. I guess he left early for steak night.
[NOTE: Steak Night was a misdemeanor tradition when I was there where we went and ate steaks at Little Woodrow's on Wednesday nights.]

BARBARA: That ain't why he left! He left 'cause it's starting to rain and sh*t floats.

They just don't make 'em like Barbara anymore. I wish my favorite Pajama Momma well in her well deserved retirement.

Feel free to share your favorite Barbara stories here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of the best things about Barbara, is that while she would tell you off, she never hesitated to do what was needed. Every court she worked was properly prepared for docket. She also trained many generations of prosecutors. Barbara was key to making sure that the average ADA fresh out of law school who had an ego the size of Texas was taken down enough to be tolerated.

One of my favorite things about her is that even after intercoms were introduced, she never bothered, she would just yell down the hall, no matter how far away your office might be.

jigmeister said...

Good for you Barbara. You'll find the water is warm.

Anonymous said...

Barbara knows 100 times more about the office and prosecuting than the current DA. We all were hoping that her evilness would troll her way down to 5 and say something to Barbara. Unlike the worms on 6, Barbara would not take kindly to the DA's attitude.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Barbara had foot surgery and couldn't leave her desk. She would call you and tell you to come to her desk so she could give you the criticism you deserved. A call from the 2nd floor (Mr. Holmes' office in my day) did not get as much respect as a call from Barb.

God Bless You Barbara.

- Fred Wilson

Anonymous said...

I don't know when Barbara started at the DAs office but she was there when I started in 1989. The back & forth grief made the job a blast. I wish her the best.

Anonymous said...

I will never forget making a shooting scene and walking out to find Barbara standing in her driveway looking at all the police cars blocking her car. The shooting had occurred next door to Barbara. She told us she never heard the shooting but had stories about the people who lived in the house. She kept us entertained while processing the scene and completing the investigation.

Love you Barbara, best of luck.

Edward D. Porter

Anonymous said...

I can recall walking down the hallway and hearing her on the phone, chewing ass to the poor witness on the other end of the phone who was tryng to get in touch with a DA. i thought to myself, that poor bastard... Then Barb told me that he missed the court date by a month and was calling to apologize. Sge lit him up!!! Good times, for sure!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that hair of hers! I'm sure she made the hair on the people who called her and gave her grief stand up on end just like hers did!

Kimberley said...

She was my first secretary. She scared the Hell outta me and made me learn how to do things on my own. After the fear subsided she was supportive and kind. I can't count the number of times I went to her for help for the rest of my time there. She was priceless to me.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Barbara moment is when she nicknamed a certain prosecutor (now a defense lawyer)- pimp. Now, that ain't a huge deal- but Barbara screamed "Pimp, line 1" no less than 18 times a day. And the way she said "peeee-imp" you doubted you were hearing it correctly. When I finally got brave enough to ask her if she was in fact saying "pimp," I was told in a very matter of fact tone of voice "shee-it yeah, that's his name!" Barb- I will miss you tons - even though you loudly proclaimed I was hiding twins, or worse yet, was the Octomom, in my gigantic pregnant belly. You made my years in misdemeanor a total trip- Thank You.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...