Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Importance of the Ertman-Pena Murders

This week the United States Supreme Court decided the case of Jose Ernesto Medellin, stating that the World Court has no binding authority over the United States' laws (specifically not over the laws of Texas). Ted Cruz, the Solicitor General of Texas wrote an opinion piece about the issue in the Chronicle today which illustrates the importance of the ruling.
(NOTE: Cruz's article has just got to be dismaying the hell out of the Chronicle's Jeff Cohen who had blasted the ruling earlier in the week for disingenuous reasons that his wife's agenda dictated).
By the way, where is Mark Bennett to accuse the Chronicle of fear-mongering, when you need him?

Although the ruling is a significant ruling by the Supreme Court on a national level, I think it is important to remember the significance that the murders of 14-year-old Jennifer Ertman and 16-year-old Elizabeth Pena on June 24, 1993 had locally. The case, to this day, is still one of the most shocking to have ever occurred in Harris County. The story of the two girls that stumbled upon a gang initiation, only to be raped and murdered horrified even the most seasoned of HPD's Homicide Detectives, not to mention the entire community.

In addition to Medellin, Peter Cantu, Derrick Sean O'Brien, Efrain Perez, and Raul Villarreal were all convicted and sentenced to death for the crimes. A sixth person, Venacio Medellin, was a juvenile at the time of the murders.

Derrick O'Brien was executed on July 11, 2006. Raul Villarreal and Efrain Perez had their sentences commuted to Life in prison when the Supreme Court ruled that 17-years-olds were too young to be executed. Medellin and Peter Cantu are still awaiting their execution dates.

By the way, Kelly Siegler was one of the prosecutors that tried Raul Villarreal and he initially received a death sentence. That changed with the Supreme Court's ruling about 17-year-old's being executed. I just mention that to illustrate that sometimes the Higher Courts change the law, and that doesn't mean that the trial court prosecutor violated any rules (as Pat Lykos likes to misrepresent).

What many people may not remember was the importance that the murders of Jennifer Ertman and Elizabeth Pena had on Victim Advocacy. Randy and Sandra Ertman, as well as Adolfo and Melissa Pena became the faces and social conscience of Crime Victims in Harris County, Texas. They attended every day of each trial. They were very open with the media about their grief.

They were very open with everyone about their anger.

They showed the world what it was to be a victim, but not a helpless victim.

Through their work, and the assistance of Andy Kahan, laws got changed. Laws that had an effect on how victims and their families were treated by the Texas Judicial System.

Victims can now make a "Victim Impact Statement" during trial, after sentencing has been decided. Victims' families can now attend the executions of the person responsible killing their loved one(s) in a capital murder.

I guess the reason that I bring this up is that with the Medellin case, there will be a lot of discussion over whether or not it was right. Death penatly opponents will call the ruling as something that further makes the United States look like an ogre in the eyes of the rest of the World.

Yada yada yada.

At the beginning of this case, two young girls lost their lives on a dark night at the hands of six violent, blood-thirsty gang members. That stunned even a street-wise town like Houston, Texas. In a county that sends the most people to Death Row, this case shocked everyone involved.

Sometimes it is just appropriate to remember that when we do talk about a Defendant's rights, that we never forget what happened to the victims while we do so.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I could not agree with you more.

My next true crime book, PURE MURDER, details the murders of Jennifer Ertman and Elizabeth Pena. While I try to stay impartial when writing about murder cases, I had a difficult time doing so this time around.

After seeing the crime scene photos and videotape and knowing exactly what these guys did to these poor girls simply breaks your heart. It also makes you scoff at the arguments on Medellin's behalf about his lack of consular representation.

Murray Newman said...

Corey,
Please keep us posted when it comes out. I know that I would like to read it.

Unknown said...

I certainly will. In fact, the book is scheduled for release on June 3. I have also been reading and dissecting chapters from the book on BlogTalkRadio.

Anonymous said...

Corey,
I have finished reading your book. I was very young when this crime happened and still remember very well how much media it received and still to this day receives. My heart goes out to the family of those two girls. I personally know the mother of one of the boys and my heart goes out to her also.

Anonymous said...

Corey I just found you have wrote this new book and I will be sure to read it ASAP. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to write being impartial as I am doing right now writing to Peter Cantu. I am writing as a true test of my faith being non judgemental. I will say that the Peter you all saw years ago on T.V is different now and I do know he is very sorry for his participation in this crime. I understand why people hate him but will never understand why hate even exists in this world. Other than that I'm excited to read your story. bestbabymamma@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Yvonne, I just finished reading Corey's book - very well written btw. If it were just the murders of those 2 girls, I would believe his remorse. But in reading about his other crimes - including the Lopez woman, his school history - it tells me that guy is pure evil. Ain't nuthin good about him, and the only remorse he feels is remorse that he got caught. Peter is a manipulator. He should have been in jail for prior things when he helped kill and ordered the killing of those 2 girls but he manipulated people to not put him in jail. You must be really sick to want to be with this animal that is wasting good air. I would like to see if you think he is still such a good person when you read about the sociopath in Corey's book.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the poster of this blog. We have lost sight of the tragedy of what happened....this case disgusts me. I have a daughter of my own. I am ashamed to live in a country where an illegal immigrant who commits a murder of this magnitude, with as much torture as those girls suffered, and for no reason than cheap thrills, can spark a debate over his human rights. This is when I start to hate lawyers and the legal system. No offense to the blog owner. This case makes me sick.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...