Sunday, March 9, 2008

John Carrigan

Defense attorney John Carrigan passed away last week at the age of 86.

I met John when I was a first time Felony Three, He was a very nice man. On top of being a nice man, he was also an incredibly interesting man, as this article will attest.

I believe I read last week that there is only one living American survivor of World War I, and the veterans of World War II are becoming fewer in number with every day.

The thing I liked the most about John was that he knew the important role he played in history, and he passed that history down by telling his story. Meeting a pilot who served in the Pacific Arena, flying over thirty missions, and living to tell the is a rare treasure.

I never had the opportunity to talk to a World War I veteran, and I wish I had. I'm glad that I got to talk to John Carrigan and hear his stories.

I'm glad that I didn't let that life lesson pass me by.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Carrigan. You were truly an American hero.

6 comments:

Ron in Houston said...

It's amazing how so many average Joe's decided to step up and fight for their country. You have to wonder if the same would happen today.

Scott C. Pope said...

I think that a lot of average Joes fight for their country--they are doing it right now in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am not saying that you are doing so, but be careful not to underestimate the sacrifice that our Joes and Josies are making at this very moment.

Unknown said...

We lose yet another member of the greatest generation. I wonder, when he cried at seeing a B-24 take off for the last time, was he thinking of what it meant to be a part of something so much larger than himself? Was he thinking of his buddies who didn't return and wondering why he was allowed to come back? Thank you for your service, Col. Carrigan. And kudos to you, AHCL, on a nice post.

Murray Newman said...

da texan,
I don't think Ron meant to offend anyone who is currently serving in the military. I think the point he was trying to make is that the World War II generation was so exceptional, because the entire generation so willingly went to war to serve thier country.
The noble men and women who serve in our United States military today are often the exception, not the rule. I think that those who serve now have made a statement for their country that many of their peers have not. For that, they may be considered every bit as much (if not more so) valiant than their WW2 predecessors. Does that make sense?

J,
I'm sure that's exactly what Col. Carrigan was thinking when he cried. The thing that stuns me so much about our Nation's veterans is that they did their service at such a terribly young age. We take so much for granted in this country, and we do so thanks to young men and women who gave a lot more to this country than the rest of us have.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a nice post about my grandpa. He was my favorite and my hero!

Murray Newman said...

Natalie,
You are most welcome. Please know that everyone who worked with your grandpa has you and your family in their thoughts and prayers. We are very sorry for your loss.
AHCL

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...