Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sandy Melamed

The Harris County Criminal Justice community was caught off guard today with the news that defense attorney Sandy Melamed had passed away.  Everyone that I talked to was stunned and had no idea that he had been ill.

I first met Sandy when I was a brand new Felony Two prosecutor in Judge Ted Poe's court.  I tried my first case "Two case" against Sandy and Olivia Jordan, and we all got to know each other during the trial.  During the trial, Sandy always called me "Murray the K" and was surprised that I knew who the real Murray the K was.  After the trial, both Sandy and Dan Gerson routinely greeted me by that nickname.

Sandy was a good and dedicated lawyer.  He managed a job that is often frustrating and aggravating, but never seemed to let it faze him.  He was a very gentle soul and a very kind man.  He always had a smile on his face and a kind word for everyone.  

Sandy Melamed was a very sweet man and the courthouse will be just a little darker in his absence.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sandy was my neighbor who became a friend. We spent many good hours chatting by the pool. Seeing the Medical Examiner's truck that day, I hoped it was some unknown neighbor and not a longtime friend. I miss him already.

RH said...

Sandy and I grew up together in southwest Houston, and attended Longfellow elementary, Pershing Jr. High, Bellaire High School, and the University of Texas-almost always in the same classes. We shared an interest in literature and sports. After college, we chose different paths and saw each other only at high school reunions. I envied Sandy's acute sense of right and wrong, from which he refused to waver. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...