Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Awkward Family Photos: Law School Edition

Since I'm a firm believer in the premise that you shouldn't make fun of others unless you are willing to make fun of yourself, I will share the following awkward memento.


This is an awkward screen grab from an even more awkward video from my 1998 Criminal Trial Advocacy class at UH.  In this exercise, I'm trying (and failing) to learn how to admit a photograph into evidence.

My sponsoring witness is David Cunningham.

The pained looking judge on the bench is George Murphy.

I think I would rather pass a kidney stone than watch how bad I was back then, but I have to give major kudos to Dave, George and (not pictured) Judge Belinda Hill.  This was really a wonderful class that gave some very real and very practical advice to aspiring trial lawyers. 

It's been 21 years since this picture was taken and I'm honored to be able to say I've gone on to practice alongside (and in Judge Hill's case, in front of) these great lawyers. I'm also glad that I apparently got over the nervous habit of slapping my hands to my sides while talking as if I were some sort of spastic penguin.

I just wish someone had told me and Dave to go ahead and shave our heads back then.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were is the whole video

Alex Bunin said...

I was in a federal trial in Galveston with David when an AUSA failed to lay a predicate for admitting a photograph and one of our co-counsel objected. The prosecutor said something to the effect of "well, if we are going to be picky..." and he was immediately and explosively cut off by the former and disgraced USDJ Sam Kent.

Anonymous said...

Murphy- the guy Rocked as Fed Pub Def just out of school...everyone saw it. DavidC is so well thought of and took such a HighRoad to shine as top of the line attorney, even a brokeWing could not slow him down. and Kent- he.s had some personal knocks but professionally- needs to stick around Ft Stockton. MDW

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...