Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Sobering Reminder

I'm pleased to report that HCCLA's reading of the Declaration of Independence was a tremendous success yesterday.  Unfortunately, Racehorse Haynes was under the weather and not able to attend, but there was a very strong turnout.  He was very much in all of our thoughts.

After the reading, I hopped in the car with my wife and my boy and we headed to my parents' lake house which is about 40 miles north of Bryan/College Station.  She and I are both from around this part of the State.  This morning we decided to go do a little exploring of our family history and ended up at a tiny little cemetery outside of Franklin, Texas called the Henry Prairie Cemetery.

She was looking for her ancestors there (yes, we are both Genealogy geeks) and we found a lot of them.

As we were looking through this tiny tiny cemetery, I came across this headstone.


It was a sobering reminder.

I had just written about Iwo Jima two days earlier and remarked about Mr. Haynes' service there as a United States Marine.

Adren F. Morgan was a Marine from Texas, too -- a tiny little town near Franklin.  

He was apparently part of the same invasion force as Mr. Haynes.

Unlike Mr. Haynes, Private Morgan did not survive the Battle of Iwo Jima.  In fact, he was killed on the second day of fighting.

He's buried in the Henry Prairie Cemetery, next to a little country church about six miles down a stretch of dirt road in Central Texas.

He was only 19 years old when he died.

3 comments:

a defender said...

Thanks for posting that. Heroes everywhere. A couple years ago I took my son to Normandy to visit ... Thousands of our heroes buried where they died.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I fly into Harlingen I always stop by and visit the grave of Harlon Block, one of the Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima in Joe Rosenthal's famous picture. He's buried on the grounds of the Marine Military Academy you pass when leaving the airport, near the replica of the Marine Memorial.

Anonymous said...

I just read Big Jolly's piece on the repub run-off debate for Harris County Sheriff. That whole wife beating philanderer thing is going to be an issue for Pittman but I'll be voting for Garcia anyway.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...