Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Little Boy Died Today

It didn't happen here.

It happened in Galveston County, but I wanted to talk about it anyway.

The news reports are still coming together, but we know that a couple walking along the road found the body of a baby boy, still in his diaper, dead on the side of the road. A child's car seat was near his little body. Preliminary reports say he died from blunt force trauma to his head.

We don't know if he was thrown from a car. We don't know if he was beaten to death and then left there.

I think we can all agree that whatever he did in his short life, he didn't deserve this.

Police are looking for his father. I don't know if he's the one who is responsible or not.

But someone is.

And some day, if there is a God, that person will be brought to Justice.

A prosecutor will stand in a court of law and put into words what the investigating officers have done. That prosecutor will feel his or her heart break every time they talk about or even think about the case. And that heart will never be the same.

A defense attorney will represent the accused, and it will tear him or her apart, just as much. He or she will put aside their personal feelings and uphold their oath that they defend their client to the best of their ability. And his or her heart will break every time they talk about or even think about the case. And that heart will never be the same, either.

All those people who will become involved in the case will take on a personal toll that those outside of this system will never understand the way that we do.

My prayers are with all those who will become involved.

But mostly my prayers are for that Sweet Little Boy.

I just had to get that off my chest.

3 comments:

Michael said...

The person responsible for that boy's death will reap justice, whether he is ever prosecuted or not.

Anonymous said...

I have a three year old with blond hair like Riley Anne Sawyer. That case nearly killed me.

I also have an 11 month old son. I heard that story on the news this morning and was devastated once again. HOW CAN ANYONE DO THIS TO A CHILD? The mother's heart in me just cannot fathom the mental and emotional disconnect that would allow someone to do deliberate harm to a baby.

My mother's heart is also saying that, if what the police suspect is true, it would like five minutes alone with that father before he is arrested. Then the cops could call the coroner instead of wasting taxpayer funds to incarcerate this bastard.

I do not envy the defense attorney in this case. The prosecutor will at least have the comfort of knowing they got justice on behalf of the baby. Maybe the defense attorney will just tell this scumbag to plead guilty and take what’s coming to him.

This is perhaps not the time or place to tell you that I enjoy your blog very much, but I will take the opportunity anyway. As the daughter of a police officer (retired) I tend to favor the prosecution. However, your thoughts and opinions seem to be rational and well reasoned, and so I really don’t care what side of the courtroom you sit on. It is nice to know the feelings of those on the front lines every day – both defense and prosecution.

Keep up the good work – and if you are being criticized by the Chron, consider yourself a success!!!

Murray Newman said...

Thank you, Michael and Jen, for your posts.

Michael, I'm hoping you are correct. Sounds like the father of the little boy is on the run. I hope he is caught soon.

Jen, I think that having a child must only magnify the pain that the general public feels when hearing about such a terrible tragedy. Seeing the little boy's picture on the news today magnified the way I felt about the case in ways I can't even explain.

Episode Seven: The Voters Awaken - A One Act -Sci-Fi Play

SCENE:  The Death Star orbits over Downtown Houston. [INTERIOR] The Imperial Council Chambers. EMPRESS OGG sits at the head of a long table ...